Attention Journalism Juniors:
Take advantage of this scholarship opportunity Joe Sampson passed along. You could be the recipient of a $1000 – $2000 scholarship from the Cleveland Association of Broadcasters. Deadline is February 15, 2012. Apply now!
Happy Saturday, SPJers!
Here’s a couple of good examples of Facebook profiles to note. Subscribe and follow their updates!
Laura Baverman mentioned New York Times Columnist Nicholas Kristof as one. Chip Mahaney and Amy Scalia are great examples as well. Others include:
- Pete Cashmore, Founder and CEO at Mashable.com
- Mark Zuckerberg, If you don’t know now … I’m scared for you.
- Arianna Huffington, President and Editor in Chief at Huffington Post Media Group
- Ben Solomon, Video journalist (Has had contracts with The New York Times and CBS News), currently working for TimesCast (NYTimes) in Cairo, Egypt. (Here’s a link to a video he co-produced last week)
These are just a few. There are many, many more good examples, and I suggest you tailor the subscriptions to your own interests and role models. Hope this information is interesting and helpful.
Amelia Carpenter, SPJ President @ Miami University
Miami’s SPJ Chapter is hosting “Branded: Job Search 2012” 4 p.m. Thursday, January 26 in 322 McGuffey Hall.
Three tech-savvy Cincinnatians will discuss marketing your brand and landing a job in today’s digital world.
Attire: Business Casual
Questions? Email SPJ President Amelia Carpenter.
See you there!
Spring 2012 Events in Journalism
(Compiled by Patti Newberry)
- Monday, Jan. 23, 6 p.m., Upham Hall 1: Glenn Muschert, associate professor of sociology and gerontology at Miami, presents: “Media and Violence Control: Communication in School Shootings.”
- Wednesday, Jan. 25: Deadline to enter annual SPJ student journalism competition, Mark of Excellence. Visit http://www.spj.org/a-moe.asp for details. MU-SPJ will pay for three entries per media group. Individual entries (all online) are encouraged beyond that.
- Thursday, Jan. 26, 4 p.m., Williams Hall studio (tentative): MU-SPJ presents “Branded: Journalism Job Search 2012” with Laura Baverman, MU grad and Cincinnati Enquirer business reporter; Chip Mahaney, director of digital content for E.W. Scripps Co.; and other TBA discuss need for cutting-edge skills in today’s journalism job market.
- Monday, Jan. 30, 8 p.m., Hall Auditorium: CNN anchor and chief medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta presents “Medicine in Times of War and Disaster,” as guest of Lecture Series. Ticket distribution begins Jan. 25 at Shriver Center Box Office. JRN will have spots at 4:15 p.m. small-group Q&A at Bishop Hall Living Room and 6 p.m. dinner at Shriver Center Harrison Room.
- Saturday, Feb. 4, Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.: Journalism Job and Career Fair, hosted by Hoosier State Press Association Foundation. To interview with one of 25 Indiana newspapers, students must register at wwww.HSPAFoundation.org/jobfair by Jan. 27.
- Thursday and Friday, Feb. 16-17: Journalism scholar and University of Illinois professor Robert W. McChesney is guest for the CAWC’s Robert E. Strippel Memorial Continuing Dialogue on Social Justice and Human Rights program.
o Keynote speech, “Media and Democracy and the Coming Upheaval,” Thursday, Feb. 16, 7:30 p.m. in Shriver Center Heritage Room.
o Symposium, “Media and the (Im) Possibility of Democracy: A Call to Action,” Friday, Feb. 17, 9-11:15 a.m. in McGuffey Hall 322.
- Monday, March 12 (week of): JRN scholarship applications and MU-SPJ Excellence in Journalism entry forms available.
- Wednesday, March 14, 7 p.m., Benton Hall 102: Ben Wedeman, CNN’s senior international correspondent based in Cairo, Egypt, talks about “The Great Arab Revolt: Tales from the Trenches.”
- Wednesday, March 14, 7 p.m., Miami Middletown Campus Center: American political activist Ralph Nader, a five-time candidate for U.S. president, talks about politics and the presidency.
- Monday, March 19, 4 p.m., place TBA: Ann Hagedorn, Miami writer-in-residence, presents “The Writing Life” about her long-form non-fiction books.
- Friday-Saturday, March 23-24, Lansing, Mich.: SPJ Region 4 Conference. Details TBA.
- Friday-Sunday, April 20-22: WMUB reunion, organized by Bob Long. Details TBA.
- Monday, April 2, 5 p.m. – Deadline for JRN scholarship applications and MU-SPJ Excellence in Journalism contest.
- Thursday, April 26, 4 p.m., MacMillan Hall Great Room — JRN Program Recognition event. Watch for your invitation!
- Saturday, May 5, 10 a.m., Williams Hall Courtyard – Senior Sendoff. Invite your families, seniors!
Fill in your availability for this semester’s weekly SPJ meetings using the link below. Our first meeting will be held in 232 Williams Hall next week.
Happy first week back, everyone!